UCU, Unison and Unite at our city’s two Universities are preparing to walk out on Thursday, and we’ve made plans to stand with them. Picket lines will be set up from 8am at entrances to York St John and University of York sites (full list below). Unions at the University of York are inviting everyone to a photo call and brief rally outside Heslington Hall, the office of the Vice Chancellor at 11am.
We also anticipate the PCS Union holding a picket line outside Defra by the Black Swan on Peasholme Green as their dispute continues. We invite all of our supporters to visit picket lines, and take some cake or a flask of tea or coffee to share with those on strike.
The full list of picket lines we know about:
- Lord Mayor’s Walk foot entrance to York St John
- The Junction of Gillygate and Lord Mayor’s Walk
- The Clarence Street Road entrance to York St John
- By the Retreat Lane foot entrance to University of York (campus end)
- Heslington Lane road entrance, by the sports centre, University of York
- The Heslington East campus bus stops
- King’s Manor, Exhibition Square (by the Art Gallery)
Picket lines should last until 11am at least, with University of York staff moving to Heslington Hall. Our efforts at last Friday’s PCS picket line outside Defra were noted in an email sent to York People’s Assembly from a branch official. This may seem like quite a small thing, but those on strike often feel vulnerable and someone dropping by for a chat and an update on negotiations is a huge encouragement.